Pumpkin Spice Energy Bars (VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE)
I LOVE KIND bars, almost everyday you can find me with one in my hand! I’m a huge advocate of grabbing snacks offering a list of ingredients that are pronounceable, wholesome and physically visible.
KIND products are one of the only snacks that actually help me stay full. I normally pick the ‘KIND bars’ because they offer a really good balance between carbohydrates and protein. The fat content is a little higher in the bars, but this really helps with providing my body with energy. The healthy fats, from the nuts and seeds, also provide hormonal benefits to keep them balanced and help to keep your skin glowing.
But, the only downfall is the price of an individual bar… Which is why I have decided to come up with my own KIND bar recipe. All the ingredients below only costed me about $12.00. I made 12 portion sizes, so that works out to $1.00 a bar; compared to paying $3.00 by purchasing at a store. I originally planned on tweaking around the ingredients in a specific bar, but, I then realized why don’t I try to make a new KIND bar flavour? Keeping in mind that it is fall, I decided to create a Pumpkin Spice KIND bar!
1 ½ cups almonds, slightly chopped
3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup puffed rice cereal, or millet
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 ground cloves
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup pumpkin, mashed (can use canned)
- ***Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.***
- Combine almonds, pumpkin seeds, puff cereal and raisins in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves, all spice and salt together.
- Add the spices to bowl containing the almonds and mix well.
- In a sauce pan combine the mashed pumpkin, honey and vanilla. Immediately pour the honey mixture over nut mix. Stir until all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Grease a 9×9 pan and transfer the mixture into it. Use your hands to press the mix down. Make sure it is compact.
- ***Place the pan with mixture into oven and bake 15-20 minutes – until bars are a little dry. This way they will hold together.***
- Let them cool for 20 minutes on the counter. Try slicing them up before they become too dry – they will be to brittle and break while doing so if not. The size of the bars is to your own preference, I choose to cut them into 12 pieces).
- Serve and ENJOY
- Wrap fully cooled bars individually for quick on the go snacks!
- Store in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers to keep bars from sticking to another. Place at room temperature, in the fridge OR even freeze them!
***YOU DON’T HAVE TO BAKE THESE***
Sometimes if you refrigerate the mix for 10 minutes after being placed into the pan, then cut and freeze them for 20 minutes. they turn out just as good.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (for 1 bar of 12 servings):
Fat (g): 13
Sodium (mg): 50
Carbs (g): 23
Fiber (g): 4
Sugars (g): 16
Protein (g): 6
Learn more about KIND snacks: https://www.kindsnacks.com/
Not sure what product to try first? They offer a $10 trial pack that contains 10 bars from their five product lines.