Creamy Mac & Cheese (VEGAN + GLUTEN FREE)
Kraft Dinner was my favourite meal as a kid. I remember going to my friends house and their parents asking what we wanted to eat for lunch and we would scream “KD!!!!!”. As I grew up though, my eating habits changed, especially during my eating disorder. I removed all sorts of foods from my diet, including Kraft Dinner. Looking back, I do realize how gross it actually was, but now I am starting to crave a yummy home-made bowl of Mac & Cheese – especially after seeing ALL the food accounts post crazy big, cheesy bowls of mac and cheese.
Considering I like to eat healthy foods and praise providing your body with proper nutrients, I thought how does one make Mac & Cheese healthier but still enjoyable for everyone? I came across a few recipes that made cheese sauce out of plants and vegetables. And that is how I came up with this hearty mac & cheese recipe!
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- garlic clove
- 1/2 onion
- 1 TBSP oil
- sage powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil hot water and place the cashews into it. This makes it easier to blend the cashews later.
- Chop the pumpkin and roast it in the oven for approximately 20 minutes. When it is ready, scoop out the pumpkin and puree it.
- Dice the garlic clove and onion and sauté them on medium heat in a pan.
- Combine the pumpkin puree, cashews, onion, garlic and coconut milk. Place all ingredients in the blender and mix until smooth. Then, add the sage and blend once more.
- Place into a pan on low heat and mix your choice of pasta in! Serve and ENJOY!!!
- While the oven is heating, begin to boil water for the pasta. I like to use Banza chickpea pasta because it adds a lot of protein to the dish!
- I like to top the Mac & Cheese with peas and flaked nutritional yeast!